Tomorrow there will be lots of sweet treats, flowers and other goodies being given as gifts for the celebration of Valentines Day!
Please read on and follow these important tips to keep your pet safe from potential Valentine’s Day hazards.
PET SAFE FLOWERS, PLANTS and FLORAL ARRANGEMENTS:
There are certain flowers and plants that can be harmful or even deadly to dogs and cats. Before choosing a plant for a Valentines gift or picking the flowers for your sweetie’s floral arrangement, please check this list of toxic and non toxic plants from the ASPCA’s website.
CHOCOLATE and SWEETS:
Always keep chocolate and other sweets out of reach of your pets. Chocolate can be especially deadly to pets. According to the ASPCA’s website, “Seasoned pet lovers know the potentially life-threatening dangers of chocolate, including baker’s, semi sweet, milk and dark. In darker chocolates, methylxanthines—caffeine-like stimulants that affect gastrointestinal, neurologic and cardiac function—can cause vomiting/diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures and an abnormally elevated heart rate. The high-fat content in lighter chocolates can potentially lead to a life-threatening inflammation of the pancreas. Go ahead and indulge, but don’t leave chocolate out for chowhounds to find. ”
RIBBONS and BOWS:
Fancy packaging and curling ribbons can be toxic and deadly to pets if they are ingested. Cats often love to play with curling ribbon, packaging and string which can become entangled in their intestines and cause major damage. Also watch out for balloons and strings.
COCKTAILS and ALCOHOL:
According to the ASPCA, “Spilled wine, half a glass of champagne, some leftover liquor are nothing to cry over until a curious pet laps them up. Because animals are smaller than humans, a little bit of alcohol can do a lot of harm, causing vomiting, diarrhea, lack of coordination, central nervous system depression, tremors, difficulty breathing, metabolic disturbances and even coma. Potentially fatal respiratory failure can also occur if a large enough amount is ingested.”